Monday, October 5, 2009

Last playlist

Last week was devoted to lasts--last chance to eat Ray's greasy pizza, Vanessa's addictive pork dumplings, Panade's perfect muffins, and Africa Kine's awesome Senegalese food; to hang out and goof off and take in New York's frenetic energy. I've eaten delicious farewell dinners and I've received heartfelt goodbyes. Tomorrow evening, after five wonderful years of living in New York City, I will be back in my hometown of San Diego, California.

One of my best friends just told me to make a playlist for the plane ride. I thought I couldn't handle that. But once we said goodbye and I hung up, it occurred to me that that's exactly the kind of thing I should do. So here it is, my last playlist in NYC. When I put it on as the plane begins to take off (rules be damned!), it should make for an invigorating and possibly tearful listen:

1. "Rumors" - Cheb Khaled & Cheba Zahouania (Together)
2. "San Jose Fight Song" - Ten In The Swear Jar (Accordion Solo!)
3. "Choufi" - Abderrahmane Djalti (Choufi)
4. "Vinon So Minsou" - Ouinsou Corneille & Black Santiagos (African Scream Contest)
5. "K-Force" - The Vision (Waveform Transmission Vol. 2)
6. "Techno Dread" - 2562 (Aerial)
7. "A Little Lost" - Arthur Russell (The World Of Arthur Russell)
8. "I Don't Play The Drumz" - Ten In The Swear Jar (Accordion Solo!)
9. "Conspirer" - Luciano (Tribute To The Sun)
10. "Bread & Roses" - Comrade Fatso & Chabvondoka feat. Chiwoniso (House Of Hunger)
11. "Teerera" - Max Wild feat. Oliver Mtukudzi (Teerera single)
12. "Segue Bezikh" - Unknown Artist (Choubi Choubi [Folk & Pop Sounds from Iraq])
13. "Leh Jani" - Omar Souleyman (Highway To Hassake [Folk & Pop Sounds of Syria])
14. "Waldiha" - Cheb Tarik (Algerian Raï)
15. "Right?Star!" - Martyn (Great Lengths)
16. "Brand New Day" - Dizzee Rascal (Boy In Da Corner)
17. "Fly" - Two Eyes Meet Redux (Pop Songs On Illusions And Tragedies)

No comments: