Thursday, May 8, 2008

T'will a bruise cruise it be!

5/13/08: The Launch This Wednesday

Skipper Rob Buchanan writes:

It looks like it's finally going to happen! Tomorrow morning at around 9:30 the glass guys will remove the 14th street window and we'll perform the delicate "extraction." Then it's a slow roll west to the river, with stops at the First Presbyterian Chuch pre-school (they came to visit the boat shop a few months ago), Lang College on west 11th street, and the Village Community School (they also paid a visit this winter) on West 10th. We should arrive at on the south side of Pier 40 (end of West Houston Street) at about 11:30, and launch promptly thereafter. All are welcome to join in at any stage in the procession!

Storm Queen will henceforth be part of the fleet at the new Village Community Boathouse on Pier 40, along with last year's Lang-built boat, Quixotic, and half a dozen others. VCB offers free community rowing on Tuesdays and Thursdays after work, as well as weekends, from now until late in the fall. For more information please visit the VCB website at:

Thanks to all for your support and interest this year!

Breaking News!

Storm Queen, lord of the fjords and tidal straits, is the name of our Swedish-flag-trim Whitehall gig. Rob offered up Storm Queen in an email, half-jokingly I suppose. Yet in our three-tiered runoff vote last afternoon, the name washed out all the other contestants. Hence, hail Storm Queen, hail!

The launch of our vessel is 9:30 a.m., this coming Wednesday, outside the window of the 65 5th Avenue New School building.

By the way, I voted for the Great Gary in the first runoff, because Pip K. Francis could not make a showing. Neither could Dayyan, who proposed Sialia Sialis. Considering the rain of Friday, the boat's postponed launch date, I think the name befits her.

Last week:

I've been out doing senior-work, but the rest of the class has painted our famous 26-foot, 7-plank, wine-glass transom Whitehall gig. You like?

Here's the latest news about the launch from Rob "Don't Call Me Bob" Buchanan:

We're not wimps, and yes, boats are made to get wet, but based on tomorrow's
forecast we've decided to postpone the launch of our stalwart vessel until next week. Friday: Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 49 by 5pm. East wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between one and two inches possible. Here's a look at the finished paint job. We'll make a final decision on the name during class tomorrow; the most popular candidates seem to be Siailia Sialis (that's latin for bluebird), Queequeg, Persephone, Tashtego and Storm Queen.

Don't forget Bruising Me Softly!

No comments: