Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Gore

I just read a particularly disgusting chapter from Michael Kelly's Martyrs' Day, an "impressionist" take on the Gulf War. In this chapter, which I read for class, Kelly tours two highways bordering Kuwait and Iraq full of bombed-out military vehicles and Iraqis blown to smithereens. I'll spare you the details, but it makes me wonder about how our newspapers of record give hardly any attention to the ineffably atrocious aspects of the current Iraq war. Is not printing pictures of dead bodies meant to stay patriotic, boost morale, or hide us from the realities of war? Or is it a combination of the three? The subject of many a debate, indeed. This is not to say that I merely enjoy seeing images of death--I just wonder how it affects the reception of the war back home.

1 comment:

Nadia Chaudhury said...

this reminds me of that photo rob told us about before, the one of the guy shooting another guy's head or something along those lines in italy and how it made rob sick and it was something no one would publish.